A GIF showing what it’s like to wake up with sleep paralysis.
You’re forgetting the terrifying hallucinations
As someone who’s had sleep paralysis multiple times, let me tell you that if your mind has woken up and your body hasn’t DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN YOUR EYES. Wake your body up first by slowly trying to move it, wiggle your toes and hands, then gradually work your way up until your body is fully awake. Opening your eyes when you have sleep paralysis is hard enough, but when you do there is a good chance you can see hallucinations like this.
I also have been the victim of sleep paralysis too many times, its bad enough without hallucinations, and so i thought i would add some info on sleep paralysis for anyone who suffers from it.
- As Shada said, wiggling toes and hands are good ways to snap out of it, although other small body parts work, even humming/talking (although things related to breathing might be more difficult). Just FOCUS on one part, its hard to regain control, but easy to become paralyzed again.
- Once you can move again, dont go right back to sleep, you might get paralyzed again. Or have the worst dreams of your life. Turn on a light, do something relaxing, like reading a book. Its been said that looking at a light before sleeping can prevent sleep paralysis.
- Sleeping on your back rises the chances of you getting sleep paralysis. If you get it a lot, pay attention to what position you are in when it occurs.
- Hallucinations, the best part, arent just things like in the gif above. They could be anything from just dark shapes floating around, to scary monsters and demons to sounds and feeling like something is shaking/touching you. I’ve had an experience where it felt like my bed was shaking while a metallic screeching sound roared whenever i tried to breath. Solution? ignore it. Its all you can do. Hallucinations cant actually do anything to you, and you cant move again if you’re being distracted. And once the paralysis is gone, so are the hallucinations.
- Most people dont really have to worry, they will only get it once or twice in their life. Maybe not even ever! :D
listen to the person above when they say you should NOT open your eyes, because chances that you’ll see something that is uniquely terrifying to you are strong. and if it’s really bad, you might even start seeing scary shit even when your eyes are closed
my tip is to imagine the most ridiculous image/scene ever and keep replaying it in your head, over and over again, like robert downey jr butt naked or hugh dancy being confronted by police for taking pictures of airport carpets, etcetera etcetera
trust me. it works
reblogging because this is important and because you mentioned Hugh Dancy and his ridiculous airport carpet obsession
No but really sleep paralysis is fucking terrifying.
This is excellent advise I must keep in mind.
Sleep Paralysis is, indeed, fucking terrifying (first-hand experience), so if it happened to you or to anyone you know and there’s a possibility it can happen again, read and share this.
I REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW THIS AND OTHERS SHOULD KNOW THIS TOO. This is the very god damn reason I can’t sleep in the fucking dark. I’ve only had it once but that one time was all I needed to erase my long time in therapy and bring me back to step 1. I had no fucking idea what sleep paralysis was and the fact that it gave you hallucinations. So please, if you have debilitating horror triggers, READ THIS. PLEASE DONT SCROLL PAST THIS, YOU MAY NEED THIS.
Reblogging for myself and other followers.
Friendly reminder to current & incoming college students:
It’s around that time of year where we have to submit our tax and income information for college, assuming you qualify for federal aid. When you are filling out your FAFSA application, make sure you choose the one with the web address of https://fafsa.ed.gov
It may seem pretty obvious, but when I was an RA, I’ve had a surprising amount of residents who had no idea which one to choose, and got caught up in things like:
- being charged to file (FAFSA is a free application and the government WILL NEVER CHARGE YOU)
- having sensitive information willingly taken (FAFSA is done online through a secure server on a .gov website, which for all intents and purposes is safe), and…
- …Because it was filed in the wrong place, the college never receives your information. Students think that everything is done, and wind up with no financial aid for the coming school year because they didn’t bother to check. This results in a lot of heartbreak and tears when you’re scrambling to get enrolled!
So please please PLEASE pay attention when you’re applying for aid. Don’t get scammed, and don’t get screwed out of help, okay?
And as another quick tip: make sure you have this year’s tax information handy (and your parents, if you’re a dependent) to make the process easier. Even if you think you or your folks make too much, apply anyway! Sometimes you could qualify for certain grants and scholarships through your school - but they need your FAFSA info!
This has been a friendly reminder. Good luck! ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ
Addams Family Values (1993)
Gomez knows how its fucking done.
Gomez gives out better relationship advice than like 90% of dudes.
Gomez Addams is a suave motherfucker who loves his wife more than his own life.
Everyone should want a Gomez. He’s p cool.